Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question for the La Grange Highlands Civic Association?
  • Just click on one of the questions below to see the answer. If you don't see your question here, please contact us.
How do I Dispose of Latex Paint?
Dry it up and then place open paint cans in your regular garbage cans.  Add kitty litter, shredded paper or sawdust to absorb the remaining paint in the can, or pour the paint into a bag. After it dries, throw the bag or absorbent material and paint can away.
Where can I go to dispose of Household Hazardous Materials?
Collection sites are located in Naperville and Chicago, IL.  Household hazardous waste items are materials purchased for cleaning or maintaining a home. Business waste is not accepted.  Open and available to all residents of Illinois.
Naperville:  Fire Station #4, 1971 Brookdale Rd. Open on Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., call to confirm hours 630-420-4190.
City of Chicago:  Household Chemicals and Computer Recycling Facility, 1150 N. North Branch St. Open Tuesdays (7 am – 12 pm),  Thursdays (2- 7 pm), The first Saturday of every month (8 am – 3 pm), closed on holidays.  312-744-7672.
Click here to view Accepted Household Items
What can we do about zoning or public health concerns such as: abandoned cars, commercial vehicles, garbage on properties, etc.?
How do I apply for a scholarship?
  • Follow guidelines on webpage or newsletter. Applications are available from the LTHS College Center and the La Grange Highlands Sanitary District Office January through March.
  • See our Schlarships webpage or newsletter for current information.
How many scholarships do you give and what is their denomination?
  • The number and amount of scholarships given depend on donations and money available from members.
When is 'Clean Up Day'? Do we need to bring our membership card?
  • Bi-Annually in May. Generally the Saturday before Memorial Day, but consult newsletter or check the News/Events page.
  • In an effort to "GO Green", the LGHCA have decided not to send out the membership cards. Please identify yourself with one of our volunteers and we will note it on our membership list. We appreciate your help with this effort.
What kind of police protection do we have in the Highlands?
  • If there is an emergency, please call 9-1-1. You will reach the Cook County Sheriff's Office. The Highlands pays the Indian Head Park Police Department to respond when there is an emergency locally, but the Cook County Sheriff's will make the arrest.
Who represents Highland's residents?
  • The Civic Association assists homeowners with concerns and comments but the Highlands community is governed by the laws of Cook County.
  • We are supported by the many services of Lyons Township including road maintenance, snow removal, street sign replacement, branch pickup, easement maintenance, senior transportation, youth programs and special police protection.
What is membership money used for?
  • Scholarships for the children of members of the Civic Association. Clean Up Day is an annual event hosted for members with membership dollars. Donations to local charities, including senior scholarships.
  • Mailing and printing costs for the newsletter to keep Highland citizens informed.
What is the procedure for reporting a street light to be fixed or light bulb replaced?
  • Contact Lyons Township Highway Dept. at 708-839-0051 or
  • Provide the cross streets and preferable the address where the street light is locationd. Describe the issue.
  • Lyons Township then completed a form that is faxed to ComEd.
  • If you do not see any changes within a few weeks, we recommend that you contact Lyons Township Highway Dept again.